Meet The Founder
Mike works with:
- Those nearing or already in retirement—helping you get your best return on your life with the time and money you have, retirement income, Social Security, investment, tax and estate planning all to support your vision and purpose
- Divorcees—needing help and guidance before, during, and after divorce to move forward with a new beginning
- Busy professionals—so busy they want help organizing, staying organized and managing financial issues so they can focus on what’s most important to them
- Business owners—planning to retire from the business to something, buy sell implementation, key employee planning, business succession
- Widows—establishing structure and space to sort through financial issues during a fog of grief and begin to define priorities for your life ahead
Mike began his financial services career as a district representative with Aid Association for Lutherans, which later became part of Thrivent Financial a Fortune 500 financial services organization. He later went on to establish Integra Shield Financial Group.
Mike has a passion for serving others who are experiencing transitions in their life. He has experienced many transitions himself. Prior to becoming a financial advisor Mike was a law enforcement officer achieving the rank of Captain and graduated from the F.B.I. National Training Academy, making him a career changer. He helped build, owned, operated and ultimately sold an award winning franchised motel. He lost his father and a brother to cancer. He is a divorcee. These transitions profoundly instilled Mike’s passion for helping others in transition. Mike helps his clients identify and proactively manage life’s transitions and challenges.
Many consider Mike, a subject matter expert on the topics of life transitions, divorce, Social Security, retirement planning, and retirement income planning. He has conducted presentations on these topics to hundreds of attendees in public workshops and professional groups. Professional group presentations include:
- Financial Planning Association of Minnesota
- Minnesota State Bar Association Family Law Section
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Family Law Institute
- Divorce Camp
- Collaborative Law Institute
- Cooperative Practice Network
- Twin West Chamber of Commerce
Mike has been featured in the Star Tribune, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and Investment News.
What makes Mike and Integra Shield Financial Group different is Mike’s belief that people always come before numbers. His work is not just about return on investment (ROI) rather it is about getting you the best return on your life (ROL) with the money you have. He helps you align your money with your life vision and purpose. He helps bring order to your financial life while helping you live your life to the fullest.
Mike provides divorce-planning services as a financial neutral to couples and participates in mediation. Mike completed family mediation training at the Hamline University School of Law Mediation Center and is a Rule 114 qualified neutral listed on the Minnesota Supreme Court statewide roster. Mike also works in the capacity of a Financial Early Neutral Evaluator (FENE). When working with one spouse and/or their attorney he helps them develop and fully understand the impact of their financial settlement options. When working with only one spouse, Mike is able to help them implement the terms of their settlement agreement including investment management. Mike knows and understands the unique life, career, and financial issues women face.
Mike’s service includes many leadership and board positions including President Elect, President and Board Chair or Past President of the following organizations.
- Financial Planning Association of Minnesota—Instituted the first ever charity golf tournament in 2010 benefiting a young child through the Make a Wish Foundation. As a result, a young girl’s dream for a trip to Disney World to see the Disney princesses became true. This charity golf tournament carries on each summer to benefit a local charity in the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area.
- Collaborative Law Institute of Minnesota—Volunteer of the Year Award Recipient
- Collaborative Divorce Professionals
- Glory of Christ Lutheran Church—Mike also serves as an Advisory Board Member for the church Endowment Fund.
Mike continues to volunteer and be an active member of all the above organizations. Other memberships include the Cooperative Practice Network, International Association of Collaborative Professionals, and the Twin West Chamber of Commerce in Plymouth Minnesota.
Mike earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Western Illinois University at Macomb, Illinois. Mike is a lifelong learner and an avid golfer who loves to get out on the course to play a round with his son Josh. He enjoys reading, learning, and spending time with family, especially his son Josh, daughter Heather and her husband Steve in Colorado, daughter Kelly and her husband Derek in Minnesota, and their families.